I had planned to start scrapping with the chalk backgrounds I posted yesterday, however when I woke up this morning everything was dark, gloomy, and the thunderstorms were just rolling through. On the upside, I knew that my freshly dried sidewalk chalk was not so fresh and dry anymore so I figured I should experiment a little more and create a few more backgrounds!
Well okay so when I say a few I really mean eight new backgrounds. I just couldn’t help myself though. I took everything into the kitchen and created on the kitchen table while Castor played. I also needed to try out different sealer’s because I knew each creation would need to be coated with something so the chalk wouldn’t rub off.
* Here’s the first one I made using a sheet of Core’dinations Core Impressions Cardstock from the Jillibean Soup Collection!
I rubbed some of my turquoise chalk on the embossed grid like paper and really made sure to lay it on heavy!
* After the chalk dried, I sanded the edges of the cardstock to reveal the peach core and then gave the whole sheet a coat of Claudine Hellmuth’s Glossy Mulit-Medium. That sealed everything and also gave it a nice shine!
* This is the second one I worked on and it is also a sheet from the Core’dinations Core Impressions Cardstock from the Jillibean Soup Collection! For this one I just rubbed a white chalk stick over the raised parts of the embossed flowers. My plan is to cut some of the flowers out and use both the chalk coated ones along with some that have been flipped over to show the de-embossed side.
* Here’s a shot of the last one from yesterday’s post, but today I coated the entire surface with Ranger’s Multi Medium Matte – which was perfect because it sealed all the chalk, brought out the really nice dark tones in the colors, and it dries without a glossy surface. This is one of those that may take me a while to scrap though because I just think it’s already so pretty and could sort of just stare at it as is…
* Last but not least, I tried a couple of new techniques out today and wanted to share them!
* There was a lot of leftover chalk dust after all my playing, so I collected all of it on a paper plate and then turned it over in a pile on my non-stick craft sheet. Then I sprayed it with water and sort of smeared it around a bit with my fingers.
* Next I laid a sheet of Basic Grey patterned paper on top of the wet chalk dust/paint and pressed on the back of it with my hands.
I was about to call it done and then I looked down and saw my Tim Holtz sandpaper tool and thought it might could be used as a stamp. (Normally it has sandpaper in it, however I tried a technique that did not work out so well on a previous project so when I saw it laying there face up it was like an ah ha moment!)
* Again, just one of those things that I should have thought of much earlier!
* This was the end result and I loved it! It might look a little messy to some, but I see some serious artistic potential!
I will get to work tomorrow on all these new backgrounds so hopefully I can show you why you might give that tub of sidewalk chalk a second glance next time you need some inspiration.
Peace, Love, & Lots of Creative Play,